Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yoga Bliss

Shortly after a doctor confirmed that I had a neck injury, my wife and I debated paying for yoga classes. We looked at yoga studios and gyms. They were expensive, and I doubted that I would have the energy and motivation to go. In-house yoga, that I could do whenever I wanted with minimal energy, was preferred. We tried videos. We stopped trying videos. We tried the Nintendo Wii Fit Plus yoga program. Jackpot.

My goal was to do all 18 yoga exercises (for a total of 36 minutes) every day for two months.

The first week was amazing. My back loosened up and my energy level skyrocketed. I felt better, looser, and freer, even though I didn't have enough flexibility to do some of the poses properly. My hamstrings, back, and IT band - extraordinarily tight. Poses like the Triangle, Downward Dog, Sun Salutation - difficult. But they felt good. The tree pose stretched my spine in a way I had never felt. My outlook - very optimistic.

Weeks two through four continued with much of the same optimism. My neck felt much stronger than it did before I started. The pain in the right side of my pelvis lessened. My flexibility noticeably increased. I could focus at work. In the first three weeks, I gained four inches of flexibility in my back and legs(when trying to touch my toes). In week four, I actually touched my toes, something I had not been able to do in over a decade. My optimism skyrocketed until the beginning of week five...

No comments:

Post a Comment