Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Tale of Chiropractors - Meeting Dr. Berkoff

Just after my major back spasm, I entered the practice of Dr. Berkoff.  I knew very little about Dr. Berkoff when I first went to see him - other than that he shared office space with my family doctor.  Dr. Berkoff is in his fifties, but he looks like he's in his thirties.  Dark hair, deep voice, well dressed.  The first visit started off like most - with a recounting of my health history and current status. 

"So what can I do for you?" Dr. Berkoff asked after I had finished my long spiel.

"Immediately, I'm looking for a second opinion on my back," I said, candid about my lack of faith in my previous chiropractor.  "But long-term, I'm still not quite there on my autoimmune issues.  If there's anything you think would help, I'm open to exploring pretty much anything."

"Let's start with your back," Dr. Berkoff said and began a physical examination.

Dr. Berkoff runs an "evidence based" practice.  He probably won't tell you this, but being evidence based is what separates him from a lot of other chiropractors.  He believes that some ailments are caused by misalignment or dislocation of the spine but recognizes that many more are caused by other factors including diet, exercise, and stress.

After the physical exam, Doc Berkoff left the room.  He came back with a few hardcover books bound in red and flipped through them until he found a diagram of a man with red dots in the areas that I told him I had pain.  With extreme confidence he provided a diagnosis and told me we'd be doing some stretching, strengthening, and manipulations to get me back in working order.  "I'd like you to come once a week," he said.  "And with luck we can have you our of here in a month..."

Over the year that I've been consulting with Dr. Berkoff, he has become a most trusted source for advice.  If you're looking for help with a variety of issues, I highly recommend his services.  Visit Dr. Berkoff's Website here for more information.

For more on my experiences with chiropractors click the following links:

A Tale of Chiropractors - A Mixed Beginning (Part I)
A Tale of Chiropractors - Meeting Dr. Berkoff (Part II)
A Tale of Chiropractors - Misaligned Joints (Part III)

No comments:

Post a Comment