Sunday, September 7, 2014

Oxygen Therapy - Finding an Oxygen Source (Part II)

Oxygen, in a pure form, is not without danger.  It is a fire accelerator and can be toxic if inhaled in the wrong concentration at the wrong flow rate for the wrong amount of time.  Oxygen, for medical purposes, is regulated by the FDA as a drug.  As such, it is available by prescription only and in two forms:  (1) compressed in a pressurized vessel and (2) on demand via oxygen generator.  Wanting the ability to produce my own oxygen, I focused my attention on finding an oxygen generator - a device that essentially consists of a few compressors that force ambient air through zeolite, a media that scrubs out the nitrogen, leaving anywhere between 80% and 95% pure oxygen.  

As oxygen is regulated by the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act as a drug, I wasn't even sure if I could buy an oxygen generator.  I suspected that I could because of the existence of oxygen bars and began searching.  What I found was that yes, I could buy an oxygen generator - although the debate of legality appears more complicated.  The FDA has determined that Oxygen Bars that dispense oxygen without a prescription are doing so in violation of federal law but appeared to have left ultimate regulation and enforcement up to the individual States.  Accordingly, some States regulate the sale and/or use of oxygen generators more aggressively than others.  The conflict reminds me of the recent conflict between federal and state marijuana laws, where the feds, for the time being, are deferring to the states who have passed recreational and medical marijuana laws. 

Several websites promoting a specific kind of oxygen therapy, exercise with oxygen therapy (EWOT), were willing to sell oxygen generators without a prescription.  EWOT is exactly what it sounds like - exercise (on an elliptical machine, treadmill, stationary bike, etc.) while breathing concentrated oxygen).  Ultimately, I settled on a refurbished DeVilbiss 515 Oxygen Generator, capable of producing 90% oxygen at up to 5 liters per minute, which set me back just under $600 (versus thousands for new machines).  Then I waited for it to arrive...
Click the links below to read other posts in the Oxygen Therapy Series:

Oxygen Therapy - A Plausible Theory (Part I)
Oxygen Therapy - Finding an Oxygen Source (Part II)
Oxygen Therapy - Trials and Tribulations (Part III)
Oxygen Therapy - Massaging the Truth (Part IV)
Oxygen Therapy - Cardio for a Day (Part V)
Oxygen Therapy - Strength Training (Part VI)

No comments:

Post a Comment