Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Experimenting With Diet - Raw Food Diet

What is the Raw Food Diet?

A raw foods diet consists of consuming foods that have not been heated above a certain temperature (I have read numbers anywhere from 104 degrees F to 118 degrees F).  The theory of a raw food diet is that there are enzymes, vitamins, and minerals in whole foods (fruits, vegetables, etc.) that are killed or deactivated when exposed to high temperatures and that to get the full nutritional benefit of the foods they should be consumed in as natural of a state as possible. 

The Experiment

In 2010, I intended to spend at least a week on a raw foods diet, including eliminating all seven food allergens (peanuts and tree nuts were the big two that would be difficult on this diet).  However, my goal of one week fell somewhat short.  Practical raw foods (those that do not require using judgement on the freshness of meat or fish for raw consumption) include fruit, vegetables, cold-pressed oils, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.  This list doesn't include very many sources of fats and proteins and limited sources of starch.  Take nuts out of the picture and the sources of fats and proteins reduce considerably.

I began the diet consuming all of the fruits and vegetables that I could possibly stuff down my throat.  Salads with cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar sustained lunch and dinner.  But by the second day of the diet, my energy level was extremely low - I could barely keep my eyes awake at work and could do little more than lay on the couch afterward.  Instead of giving up on the diet, I decided to add nuts to the list - and started off by making a mango pie in a walnut date crust.  The next day, I added raw almonds and cashews to my snack regimen, which resulted in slow hot abdomen pain, as if someone put a heater against my abdomen and slowly turned up the heat.  Additionally, my already low energy level plummeted.  After another day of discomfort and fatigue, I ended my raw foods experiment.

My Take-a-Way

Eating raw foods provides a high fiber, high water content, low calorie, and nutrient dense way to consume foods - all of which can benefit overall health.  On the other side, cooking foods provides a means for eliminating harmful bacteria and viruses and "unlocks" certain nutrients in certain foods that would otherwise be unavailable if eaten in raw form (so I have read).  I have no doubt from my parallel experiences with diet that the raw foods diet provides a nutrient dense, low calorie means of consuming foods that can help improve health and reduce weight.  However, the diet was not feasible for me due to my nut intolerance - which, in my opinion, would be required for this diet to be sustainable.

Since going on this diet and considering the benefits of raw foods, I have considerably increased my consumption of raw fruits and vegetables (largely through smoothies and salads), which supplement a considerable range of cooked meats, gluten-free grains, fruits, and vegetables.

If you're interested in learning more about a raw foods diet, check out this link for Raw Food Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment