Friday, November 14, 2014

In Real Time - Modified Grain Brain Diet

This is me.  Not the best photo, but the best of the most recent photos of myself - taken by my daughter, Adelaide, during her first experience with my iphone camera (she is three and wanted to snap a picture of me next to some rocks in our neighborhood). 
I am 6'-3", 212 lbs.  This puts my body mass index (BMI) at 26.5, which is considered overweight.  I've never been one to take much stock in a BMI as I am fairly dense, meaning I have above average muscle mass - largely due to years of hiking, biking, rock climbing, and other miscellaneous activities.  However, a few years ago my doctor told me that the statistics didn't care if a high BMI was due to above average muscle mass or higher body fat - a high BMI correlated with a shorter lifespan and reduced quality of life.

After pondering that for a little while, I decided that it made sense.  More body mass, whether from fat or muscle, at a minimum required the heart to work harder, to pump blood to more tissues.  When an organ works harder than it otherwise needs to, it tends to wear out more quickly.  Just like when the liver of someone who consumes a lot of alcohol wears out more quickly than the liver of someone with low alcohol intake.  A second obvious ramification of more weight is mechanical - meaning more force is being applied to joints (knee joints, hip joints, etc.) during movement as simple as walking.  More force on each joint will wear out the joint faster than than if less force were applied, leading to bad knees, ankles, and hips. Without expounding further, the bottom line is that reducing body mass has several advantages.  

Within the past year I've lost close to twenty pounds, primarily through diet (as at the time I was too nauseated to exercise).  I started out experimenting with the Grain Brain diet, the one advocated by Dr. Perlmutter, attempting to get rid of my debilitating nausea.  The nausea stayed (I later figured out that the nausea was caused by medication, Cyclobenzaprine - aka Flexeril - which my doctor recommended as a Western approach to my chronic health issues; I'll post more on that later).  However, on the Grain Brain diet, which I modified heavily due to my nut, egg, and dairy limitations, I consistently lost weight.  And it stayed off.  My goal is to lose the remaining fat, maybe another ten or twenty pounds.  

Today is day four of my diet - a grain-free, allergen-free (see the elimination diet post to see what I consider allergenic), refined carbohydrate-free diet.  All recipes currently on my blog are on the diet.  The good news is that I can eat as much as I want and exercise need not exceed walking (though the longer the better).  To date, I've lost three pounds - hardly worth writing home about - but a good beginning.   

No comments:

Post a Comment